Thank you! Now on to an exciting 2018...
Thank you to everyone who donated to our 2017 end-of-year crowdfunding campaign. Because of your help
Goals for 2018 include:
- Train-the-trainer program at the Puesto de Salud in Estancia de la Virgen, on the border of the Quetzaltenango and Huehuetenango departments
- Train-the-trainer program in the Palajunoj Valey with Primeros Pasos
- Create and test model for new farmers to sell mealworms to local businesses
- Work with partner, MIGHTi in Zambia, to create a scalable open source mealworm farming program
- Train-the-trainer program with a cohort in Guatemala City
- Completion of an experiement to find more efficient and low-cost mealworm farming model
- Work with Professor Marianne Shockley from the University of Georgia to conduct a Lessons Learned in Edible Insects study
For a re-cap of our 2017, check out our annual report. (STILL NEED TO PUT IN LINK)
Meet one of our new local partners, ADEMI...
Asociación de Mujeres Ixpiyakok (ADEMI, Ixpiyakok Women's Association) was started in 1984 by 30 indigenous Mayan who lost their husbands in the civil war. Now, they work with over 30 communities throughout the Chimaltenango and Quiche regions to improve local food security and nutrition, local economic development, health, and political education.
These photos were taken at our introduction section with over 18 women leaders last month. MealFlour will start working with these women in 2018, when we will teach them how to raise mealworms and support them as they run trainings in their communities. Through this partnership, the MealFlour program will also be adding another language to our trainings - Kaqchikel!
puesto de salud
MealFlour and MIGHTi will collaborate on projects that use edible insects to improve nutrition in Guatemala, Zambia, and elsewhere. Our goal is to develop a model that can be scaled to bring edible insect farming training programs to communities in countries around the world!
follow-up for PP
follow up with PEILE
In Other News...
- Thank you to the University of Chicago who will sponsor two new interns to join us in Guatemala during Summer 2018!
- Did you miss MealFlour's guest appearance in the Beyond the Plate podcast last month? Check it out HERE!
- Please help spread the word about our crowdfunding campaign!
Questions or comments? E-mail us at MealFlour@gmail.com